Thursday, July 12, 2007

Yucca Yucca






What is it with Yucca? Mine don't bloom every year. The two oldest pieces are blooming. I was hoping for some blooms on the others.

For a long time I didn't know what this plant was called. My MIL who gave it to me called it "bear grass". Someone on Garden Junk told me the real name. Said it was the state flower of New Mexico. So I had my husband move a large rock over to this corner and I got some paint and painted "Yucca, State Flower Of New Mexico"on it. One year later it had all washed off.

Since then a red cedar has come up in front of my rock and completely hides it now. I let the cedar stay and have been decorating it with Christmas lights. After this Christmas it will have to be cut out of there. The tree is getting too big and my corner needs thinning out.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

I love yucca. You do the cutest things that I never get to see. Bill needs to come more, but he is such a homebody.

meggie said...

I love your Yucca flowers. We have a plant we thought was a Yucca, but I dont think it is. It has grown so tall, & is a bit spindly.

Little Penpen said...

I'll bet your hispanic neighbors can tell you all about it. I guess they are pretty enough, but I have been thorned by them enough, that they lost their prettiness somewhere along the way! LOL

ancient one said...

Sandy, that homebody stuff runs in the family. We're always here. Come whenever you can.

Meggie, these two that are blooming are really tall and spindly... I took the picture from another angle. As they grow the leaves hang down around the trunk. The ones you see with their spikes sticking up are younger... you might have a yucca.

Penny, I know you remember those spikes well. After taking the picture, I noticed some other little trees in there and I got stuck good trying to cut them out.. I think your dad will probably have to put the chainsaw on the two that bloomed this year. There are small dogwoods in there that I want to leave and a pine tree that has to come out...