Monday, July 9, 2007


Eat Your Veggies! Our tomatoes are not ripe yet.

Yesterday my husband visited our neighbors to the north. They have ripe tomatoes. She sent some home with him along with some string beans and peppers. These are the longest string beans I have ever seen. Most are as long as my arm. She asked if we liked egg plant and he told her no. He says the purple thing in the middle is a purple bell pepper. I must go ask "Purple Cucumber" if she's heard of a purple pepper. (I hope its not egg plant in disquise.)

My next door neighbors are artists. I love to visit and see all the new things they have going on. They do sculpture, paintings, throw pots, metal work, you name it they can do it. They have remodeled an old farm house into a stucco home such as are found in Italy. They have built a tall cement fence across their property up to our line. All of us on the road hate the fence. We can no longer see every thing they are doing when we pass by...LOL

They also do organic gardening in raised beds (and I mean raised... they can sit on the side of the beds and pick the produce. They also have this huge domed area that they ran the cucumbers and these long string beans on... you can go inside and just reach up and pick what you want.

So in the spirit of "ART", I posed the veggies for this picture.... LOL

8 comments:

Sandy said...

First, you have too much time on your hands...LOL. That face is so cute. I didn't know about your neighbor--if we ever get to NC again will have to check it out.

Tammy said...

The picture is the cutest one of veggies I've seen this year...I've never heard of the purple pepper but I bet it has to be flavorful and will make a pretty salad don't you think?
:)

Little Penpen said...

Big LOL... love the veggies! You are so talented! No one can even begin to appreciate your neighbors and their place without seeing it for themselves. You will have to schedule a tour for Sandy and myself the next time we are visiting your way! I haven't seen it since she finished it (Iknow it's always a work in progress, but I haven't seen it in a long time) and would love to get back up there!

meggie said...

Your neighbours sound very interesting!
Love the veggie face! I have never seen a purple pepper before. I love eggplants, shame I cant share!

Janice said...

I love your veggie art!! Very clever! Wow, I have never seen string beans that size either..amazing! Your neighbors sound so talented and I don't blame you for not like the fence which cuts off your view from their projects. :o)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very cute! Sounds like you have fabulous neighbors. I've seen really high raised beds before. They're great if don't want to do any bending over (I may be heading in that direction soon LOL). Too bad about the fence. I'd want to see what they were upto also!

Manuela

Little Penpen said...

You are so talented and creative when it comes to veggie sculptures! I am home sick today *blah* so I decided to check out my favorite bloggers

Anonymous said...

Haha, I posted under Mama's name. So the comment above me, well that was alllll me talking! Glad you called today, it made me feel better!