Saturday, July 21, 2007

You Knew This Would Be Next, Didn't You?





Yes, here is the dreaded hornet's nest in this boot. I wanted my husband to burn this boot last night. He refused, saying this was one of Will's boots and he might want it. The match to this one is still sitting over on the shelving unit.

I think we have more problems than this. I still see some yellow jacket looking insects entering the holes around the bottom of the pot that has a snake plant in it. I hope they are not in the fiscus tree pot also. I might have to scarifice some plants.

An old myth I learned today about hornets: It takes 7 hornet stings to kill a horse. It takes 3 hornet stings to kill a man. It takes 2 hornet stings to kill a child. Thank goodness this is not true. But my source did say many stings to someone who is allergic could kill them. All I know is hornet stings really, really, hurt!!!

5 comments:

meggie said...

Oh I felt your pain, when I read of the sting! I cant believe the boot is still there, with the nest in it. Perhaps the spray needs to be directed to the pots.
I am allergic to bee stings, & was warned to always carry medication to counteract a sting.
I loved you rocking chairs, by the way! They look lovely.

Donna's chitchat said...

A few years ago, while crouching down to plant some corn in a large garden, I was instantly shocked by an amazingly sharp pain in my upper thigh. I leaped up and found the tiniest hornet (or wasp) I have ever seen still stuck to my leg. Apparently I squished it between my chest and my thigh when I crouched. I was absolutely amazed at how PAINFUL that was. Firstly, I can't even imagine how it would feel on a face, and secondly, I was really thankful that little wasp was pointing down when I squished him :( or he would have stuck me somewhere else.

Tammy said...

Gosh gal...I been stung a lot as a child, but I don't know about ever having a hornet sting...it sounds awful...I'm glad you are finding the source and I hope you can get rid of them all...where I'm from they make huge mounds usually found in trees.
Hope you feel better real soon!
:)

Little Penpen said...

Is Curt crazy? Tell him to burn that boot! If Will hasn't worn them by now, he probably isn't going to! I'm glad you are okay! One of husband's officers got stung by one and ended up in the hospital!

mreddie said...

I have yet to offend a hornet, I've heard they can be pretty tough. I have run afoul of yellow jackets several times and they too are mean little critters - they hurt right away and ache for several days. Hopefully you didn't have an allergic reaction. ec