Monday, July 2, 2007

Today I Remember Richard


First bloom of this season!
My husband's friend, Richard Reel, worked for the water company. His job was to turn on and off the water. Sometimes, when he had been sent over this way to cut someone's water off for not paying their bill, he would hang around here and help my husband for a while. Most times, as soon as the water was cut off, that person would hurry to the office to pay up. Then they would call Richard to tell him to cut it back on. He would still be in the neighborhood.
He was a good friend. One of those people who know how to help without getting in the way. He brought me this flower a few years back and I planted it in front of the ancient fence. This year he will not be by to see it. He went in for a simple gall blader operation last year and had a stroke during the operation. He was kept on life support for a few days, then went home to be with the Lord.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

I'm glad you have this beautiful bloom to remember him by.

Tammy said...

What a sweet rememberance!
(((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Sweet memories and beautiful flower.

Little Penpen said...

Richard would be proud to know how much that flower means to you!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

What a beautiful hibiscus to remember your friend by.

Thanks for visiting, Ancient One, and welcome. Feel free to drop by anytime. :-)

Hugs,

Diane

meggie said...

A lovely flower in memory of your friend.

Debbie J said...

That's a great way to remember your friend. You made me think about the things in my yard that remind me of people. There's the huge pink rosebush that was rooted from my grandmother's. The little maple tree my now housebound friend gave to my children in memory of their grandfather. The nandinas and camelia bush my mother dug up from my grandmother's yard and transplanted here when we first built this house. The huge oak tree that used to have a tire swing that in my mind's eye I can see my children swinging on..... Thanks for the memories Ancient One.

Janice said...

What a beautiful flower and reminder of a gentle, kind friend. Thank you for sharing this story. Plants are such a wonderful live memory of someone, aren't they?