Monday, July 16, 2007

Day Dreaming


Sunday as we were getting gas in a poor section of a town about 20 miles from us, I spied this little building across the way. I noticed the double doors and the stained glass window. I decided it must have been a small church in days gone by. It seemed to be empty. But it was early afternoon, and if a small group had met in the morning then of course it would be empty now. Too bad we couldn't wait around to see if they had church that night. We had to hurry back home so we could go to our own church.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

OK- Here goes....I've always said,"it's never the building, it's the love someone gives it..." And maybe it all comes down to money-- But a pot of geraniums on the steps, a window box, or maybe 4 cans of paint. Have you ever seen one of those folk art crosses that could be on the tallest point on the front? There may be a church group that met earlier, but really, I hope there wasn't--- Because I don't think those people valued the building. hey, maybe they do -- it's just the neighborhood doesn't permit things like that because of theft--- or maybe there's no one to take care of it during the week...But even in the America with all of our freedoms--- it is a privilege to gather together and worship....Maybe the message here is you can gather anywhere...
Great post--- lots to think about...

Sandy said...

With a stained glass window, I am sure it was a church at one time. I love old buildings--wish everyone did and kept them up.

mreddie said...

I also wonder about old buildings, especially the abandoned ones - about the person that built it or caused it to be built, what their life was like, if they had a family and their joys and sorrows. ec

Little Penpen said...

I love that building too. I wish I could have it moved to my back yard.... wouldn't it be cute to restore and use as a "studio" of some sort?