Sunday, September 9, 2007

Where Were The Collards?

Granny,also known as Ann asked me where were the collards? You know I noticed that there wasn’t as much reference to the collards at this year’s collard festival. In years back, some local growers, would have floats in the parade. This year there were plenty of old cars, motorcycles, those little trucks and cars that the Shriner’s drive, etc. There were a few church, boy scout, and girl scout floats, and business floats. BUT WHERE WERE THE COLLARDS?

After the parade, which I mentioned had the bands from ECU and UNC, the two mayors of Greenville and Chapel Hill, entered the Collard Eating Contest along with the other contestants. The mayor from Greenville ate a full pound of collards, while the mayor from Chapel Hill, only ate half a pound. The winner of the contest ate four pounds of collards.

There is a restaurant in my little town named BUMS that provides the collards for the contest. There is a Collard Cooking contest also. And of course, there is a Collard Queen. After the parade most people head for BUMS to eat collards. There are lots of churches that also cook collards and sell them to make money. I got my collards from Little Creek Church’s booth. They had bar-b-q chicken, collards, potato salad, cornbread, and cake on the plate and it was Soooo Good!!!

The reason we were able to get the two college bands this year, was because they were playing a football game the same afternoon, 10 miles away in Greenville. That was the reason behind the collard eating contest between the two Mayors. Did I say the Mayor from Greenville won? LOL Well, ECU, Greenville, beat UNC in the ball game. Think people down this way aren’t grinning… Think again!!! LOL


As an update
here is a link to those that don't know what Collards are.

11 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Sounds like a fun competition... you know those folks from Chapel Hill don't even know what collards are!!!

Granny said...

I'm so glad I asked that question. It seems to have open the door for a wonderful post.

Thanks

Ann (the other one)

Debbie J said...

I love it!!! Only in North Carolina would you have such a fun festival. I'm glad ECU beat UNC. We like NC State and who ever is playing UNC.

meggie said...

I didnt know what collards are? I had thought they were some type of vege, but when you didnt show any, I just thought I must be mistaken. haha.
Great post. And now I will go & find out about collards.

Donna's chitchat said...

Oh, I don't know what they are either. Are they like Spinach, or beet greens. Both of them I love,so I think I would love collards toooooo...
And I do love parades..

Willow said...

I love collards! There are a number of soul food restaurants in LA and I think we've been to two or three of them.

Tammy said...

I wouldn't miss the Collards myself...I've never liked greens...
:}

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love collards! That was a fun post.

Manuela

2 LMZ FARMS said...

I should have been there at that contest. I love collards, poke salad, turnip greens, mustard greens, all of it, really. Thanks for visiting, I just love reading your posts. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura

JANET said...

I just found your blog. I see your town celebrates collards! I just posted about the things communities celebrate. Our thing is catfish.

mreddie said...

Four pounds of anything is a lot, even collards. We have eaten collards as far back as I can remember and enjoy them - have even grown and cooked them myself. ec