Friday, September 7, 2007

Toys


Meggie,at Life's Free Treats was talking about a toy that she had for her young Grandson that made so much noise. It made me think of something that happened when I was babysitting my granddaughter one day. We were in the grocery store and she saw some paper cups that she just wanted so bad. I couldn't imagine why. They were pretty. So I agreed and she wanted to make sure they were hers. When we got home she happily took her cups and began to play with them. They gave her hours of happiness, cost very little, and made absolutely no noise at all. One of the best investments I ever made!!

7 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

When I was a little girl, my mom worked at a snack bar and for some reason she had brought home a whole case of "sleeves" of papercups. Probaby a thousand of them. They were leftover from a function she worked at. These were solid white cardboard like cups. Back when you drank coffee out of papercups. My sister and I made entire forts in the basement out of these cups for a whole winter. They finally ended up so beat up, my dad burned them in the back yard burn barrel, and I remember feeling so sad. I begged my mom to get another box of them, but she never did. How fun to know that something so simple can still hold the magic of an imagination.

Sandy said...

What is it we say---kids would rather play with box....Imagination and creativity....priceless.

Little Penpen said...

You know, they have cup stacking competitions now. A little girl from our area is the current champion. I've seen her on tv several times. I do remember those cups and how much fun the kids had with them.

His Office, My Studio said...

The simple items in life make the best toys. My sons loved boxes, paper cups, paper plates, bubble wrap, wood, glue and paper clips.

meggie said...

Wonderful! What a nice story. I agree, a child's imagination is such a wonderful thing to witness. I remember being absolutely fascinated with wood shavings, the wonderful curls of the wood, as my Uncle planed some wood.

Anonymous said...

I loved those cups! I remember I would pretend to be in those cup stacking competitions like Mama was talking about. Needless to say, it doesn't take much to make me happy!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Amazing! That girl has an eye for art....take something a little pretty and make it into something totally different and even prettier! Who knew paper cups had so many uses...she did!