Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Small Town Museums

Don't you just love small town museums? My small town doesn't have one. The small town to our north has one and the small town to our south has one. We visited the one to our south last weekend. This first picture is a black dress and bonnet. The little note attached to it told who the dress belonged to and a little story to go with it. It seems the owner of this dress had gone to the hospital to visit a relative. She stepped out in front of a car and was injured herself. This is the dress she was wearing.

And I think every old museum has an old wedding dress. This one did not have a note pinned to it.



And most of the museums have an Indian room. This is always my favorite room. My boys found arrow heads in the fields across the road from our house. Almost as good as finding good shells on a beach...LOL

We saw old pictures of people, tobacco in every form on display, a whiskey still, old carriages and old toys, old dishes, old desks, old books, an old carved wooden Indain, animal heads of animals shot in Africa, old school yearbooks, old doctor's offices, old dentists offices, pictures and books of the flood of 1999, and many more things. Look around your home towns. You might find treasures you didn't know exsited

12 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Ann,

We have a very nice museum here. Dresses and bonnets, old tools and saws, an old school room set up just like it was back in the mid-1800s. Lots of neat stuff. I love visiting ours. They are also featuring current local artists' paintings, and some beautiful wood carvings, etc. Loved the wedding dress you took a picture of. Small town museums have lots of treasures, don't they?

I enjoyed reading about your visit to the south one. Take care!

Renie

Mary said...

There is nothing quite like a visit to a small town museum. We have one here that is very rich in Native Canadian artifacts. They always pique my interest.

There are several small museums in our town and they are all of interest. Thanks for sharing your photos. I always enjoy my visits here.

Please drop by my blog and find out how you can Be A Blessing This Christmas

Blessings,
Mary

Deborah Wilson said...

Ann,

The pics are very nice. I like the black dress the best. I like museums and I like to look around in the antique shops too. There is one antique shop in Marietta that I really like and go to a few times a year, it's called "A Classy Flea Market". They buy everywhere, including entire estates. Places such as this have wonderful stuff.

2 LMZ FARMS said...

We have turned out old post office into a museum. I love to go there and just walk through the rooms. There is alot of things there that have been donated by my family. I just love to read and discover what kind of life some of my family members have. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura

Little Penpen said...

I think we have a little museum like that in our town. Maybe when you visit again, we can check it out!

imac said...

Nice dresses, what happend to the wedding dress owner?:)

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

nausea and meds have me yukkie,will visit later more

Alice said...

Our town museum has the same kinds of collections that yours does. It seems everyone in town has donated something at one time or another. It's interesting in a general way as well as specifically informative about our town.

Little Penpen said...

Nice picture of your dad for Veterans Day. What a handsome man!

Janice said...

I love museums and it it was so nice to visit the one you went to, by seeing your photos!

Pat said...

I love museums large and small. Anything that brings history alive is fasicnating to me.
I love the picture of your Dad - very handsome!

Jenn said...

oh, so cool. We have part of the NW Pioneers here, a big fort, history, etc...you can't help but just love it.