Monday, November 12, 2007

A Day In The Woman's Life

The woman noticed the smoke first. Drifting, white smoke around the top of the house next door. “ Umm,” she thought, “The neighbors must be grilling.” She kept on dusting the table. But something drew her eyes back to the window and the house next door. And then she really saw it. The grill was on its side on the ground. No one was cooking. Why was there smoke?

She stepped to the door that led onto the porch next to the neighbor’s house. There seemed to be more smoke. She kept going, out, onto the porch, still peering to see where the smoke was coming from.

Then she heard it. A man was calling his wife’s name. Over and over he called for her. The woman’s heart began to beat faster. Quickly she ran between the hedges over into the neighbor’s yard. The man was still calling his wife. More smoke was coming out of the house.

The woman ran up the back steps and into the den of the house next door. She quickly crossed the room toward the bedroom. She realized now she was calling the man’s name. She got to the door of the bedroom and stared in horror. The sheets were on fire and she could just see one of the man’s legs was black where it had been burned.

Turning with extreme fright, the woman raced out the door, across the neighbor’s yard. What to do? What to do? And all the time she was running toward the front of the house and across the street to the doctor’s office. She didn’t realize she, herself, was now screaming, “Help, Help, Mr. B. is burning in his bed.”

Some men waiting in cars out side the doctor’s office jumped out and ran toward the back door the woman had just left. The woman was running into the doctor’s office like a wild woman. Still yelling, “Help, Help, Mr. B. is burning in his bed!” The doctor appeared, seemingly from out of nowhere. Calming the woman he asked, “Did you call the fire department?” “ No,” the woman answered.

The doctor spoke to his secretary. “Call the fire department!” and then moved quickly to a safe behind the half wall. He unlocked the safe, grabbed a needle full of medicine and raced out ahead of the woman across the street to the neighbor’s house.

The woman ran back to her own home. It had only been a few minutes but felt like a lifetime. The rescue squad and the fire trucks were soon there. She saw them bring Mr. B. out on the stretcher. She saw the man’s wife rush home and leave again quickly heading to the hospital. She saw the firemen bring the burned mattress out the back door and place it near the street for the trash men to pick up.

And she stood there and berated herself. She KNEW you were supposed to try to smother a fire. She had read and read all the instructions on how to react to emergencies such as this, and she had done Nothing! Panic had overtaken her, and all she could do was run and yell for help. She had not known that she would have reacted this way.
True Story

14 comments:

Debbie J said...

That is an exciting story. Were you in the story or did you know the people in the story?

Janice said...

Gosh, it makes you wonder what you would do in case of an emergency like that, doesn't it? I'm sure panic can do all kinds of things to a person's mind.

Little Penpen said...

I know this story too. We think we know what to do, but when panic sets in, we are ALL HUMAN! Sometimes I amaze myself with all that I can handle in a crisis situation at work, and then on other days, I think "what happened to me today?" And you left out part of this story... when this happened, this woman was really young and still a child herself!

Alice said...

When my friend discovered his house on fire, he managed to call the fire department but when they asked for his address, he could only reply "My house, my house!" The only time I ever had to call for an ambulance, I couldn't remember if it was 119 or 191 or 919. Terrible the way panic can shut off the brain.

imac said...

Great story.Trouble is none of us know how we are going to react to an emergency until it happens.Unless you have been trained.

meggie said...

As I read, I kept thinking, 'but why didn't you smother the fire?' 'Why didn't you help'.

I hope it was not you! I do believe we all have no idea how we would really react, in any given situation, unless we have experienced it.

I was once in a plane, that got badly struck by lightning. I remained utterly calm, to my surprise, & my husband's. Our calm friend, fell utterly to pieces.

Willow said...

We never know how we're going to react, do we?
One thing I learned in First Aid was you make sure the perimeter is safe for YOU before you try to do any rescue or first aid. I wonder if the woman instinctively realized it wasn't safe for her to go in the room.

Renie Burghardt said...

I agree with everyone else, one never knows how we will react in an emergency. We think we'll do the right thing, but panic can make us unable to do much of anything. You wrote this story so well, Ann.

Blessings,

Renie

Donna's chitchat said...

My friend and I were first on a scene where a young boy had been hit by a car his bike while driving on the side of the highway. My friend immediately ran to the little boy, and told me to get the first aid kit from the back of my car. I searched and searched my stationwagon which was completely empty... but I continued to search until I almost passed out. I should have realized that there was no first aid kit, but instead I just kept reaching for nothing, and feeling the walls of the stationwagon for a secret compartment. I totally know how the woman in the story felt, after the crisis was over. I still question myself as to what the heck I was thinking... there was no kit... stop looking and go help!!! I, too, was pretty young, and I have since learned to handle these things a little better.

ancient one said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ancient one said...

I'm posting this from an email...

Hey Ann!

At the family reunion Sandra told me that you and she were into blogging and that I should start too. I thought she was talking about the My Space pages, but she said "no, it's different." Well, I went snooping and I found the Ancient One's blog and the others! I hope you don't mind that I did. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the Nov. 11 blog you had about the fire. I remember when that happened, and I also remember how PROUD I was (and still am) of you for thinking so quickly to run to the doctor's office to get him help! Also, I don't remember if you had a phone in those days, but we sure didn't, so you went to the right place and did the right thing. I wanted to add this to your comments so the others would know how I felt, but I didn't have a google account and couldn't get it on.

Love you,
June

Little Penpen said...

One time when I was on my way to work, at the stoplight right in front of the hospital, I was sitting in the turning lane, waiting for the light to change. I heard a loud THUD (no brakes, horns, etc.) and looked to my right to see a small truck crushed, as it had slammed into the back of a huge transfer truck. I did not have a cell phone, and knew I could do nothing with a truck so badly crushed. I knew the person would be dead. So I sat there, waiting for my light to change, and tried not to look to my right. When I drove off, I saw a teddy bear in the highway. It still haunts me to this day. I remember thinking, "it's right in front of the hospital. Surely someone will get help."

Mary said...

Ann,

A wonderful story. I have been lucky so far in my life that I have been able to remain in control and think straight when things go wrong. However, you never know what you will do or how you will react.

That woman should be proud of herself. She did exactly what she thought she should be doing at the time.

Please drop over to my blog and pick up your award. Enjoy!!!

Blessings for a great day.
Mary

smilnsigh said...

OK, she panicked and did not try to smother the fire. But she did not totally panic and freeze. She did get help.

I hope that woman does not berate herself too long... If she had not gotten help, well...

Mari-Nanci