Sunday, June 3, 2007

Jessie's Treasures Cont.

I loved going to my Aunt Jessie's home. She had antiques, collections, and such unusual decorations all over her house. Any where you looked, there were so many interesting things.

And always there was a story that went with each thing. Which estate sale, yard sale, etc... the stories were sometimes more interesting than the object.

I admired this picture that was hanging in a bedroom. I just mentioned that I liked it. She then told me that all the decoration inside this frame was made with hair. I repeated, "HAIR", then I took another look. (Sorry my picture is blurred... I'm not a very good photographer!) I just wish I could remember the story that went with this picture. I should have taken notes as well as the pictures!!

Do any of you know about these "HAIR PICTURES"?

2 comments:

Hope said...

This is just fascinating!! I had never heard of a hair picture but I googled it and sure enough....!
Here's the link I found about it:
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:_rAH03g78dAJ:www.victorianhairjewelry.com/victorianhairwork.html+vintage+picture+made+with+hair&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us
There is some beautiful stuff on there! Thanks for helping to educate me!

ancient one said...

Thanks Hope. I should have googled it myself. As soon as I read about them being done for mourning, I remembered that was exactly what my Aunt Jessie had said. She was interested in everything and remembered everything... Alas, I have a hard time remembering!!