Friday, September 12, 2008

Panic Gas Buying

Ike is causing panic in North Carolina. On Sunday we bought gas at $3.47 per gallon. The picture below was taken in July

At lunch time today on the news it was reported that some gas stations have already run out of gas. Some are rationing their customers. They are allowed to only get 10 gallons at a time. The highest reported gas price at noon was $4.79. The news people have contacted the ones that be and asked if this was gas gouging. No one has an answer.

The lines are long at all the pumps. People are fussing about who should be next. The one next in line or the one who went inside to pay for their gas before pumping. You would think WE were the ones trying to evacuate instead of the ones in Texas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I haven't heard of this happening here in the Triangle but it might just be a matter of time. I think I'll go fill up my car when I get off from work today just in case.

Have a nice weekend! Annie

Anonymous said...

Me again. I just checked the News and Observer website and it's started happening in Raleigh too, and the governor has activated an anti-price gouging law. Let's hope it calms down soon!

Renie Burghardt said...

Even in our area, the price of gas has gone from $3.55 a few days ago to $3,69. I sure hope there is no panic buying around here! It's crazy. My son Greg said some people fear that all those oil refineries in Texas will be damaged. But I'm so afraid for the people in Ike's path. I hope they stay safe!

Renie

Deborah Wilson said...

Ann,

The same thing is happening here. I went to get gas tonight, and vehicles were backed up all the way into Dallas Hwy, trying to get at the pumps at the Kroger. Only half of the pumps were working. I took a detour and went down a few blocks to Chevron - they had no gas at all.

I finally had to wait in line next door at the Race Trac for 1 1/2 hours to get gas - only about a third of the pumps were working. Again, vehicles were backed up in a long line down Dallas Hwy.

Too bad that I didn't have my camera with me, it was dark anyway, but I plan to get pics tomorrow.

When I finally did get to a pump, I only put in $7 instead of the usual $12 or $15. I'll wait and get more gas next week when the prices go back down.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

yeah, we paid $4.67 yesterday! drat!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo