Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Eating Good from the Neighborhood


Summer time and the living is easier. Neighbors come bearing gifts. Thanks Johnny for our first new potaoes and new onions. Thanks Lindsey for our first squash and zucchini. Thanks Leo for more onions, plums, potatoes and our first fresh corn. Thanks Dave for more squash and thanks Floyd for more corn. Thanks Inda for the fresh beans and home made chicken salad. Thanks Mickey for the wonderful watermellon.

I'm so thankful that I live in this neighborhood. No one's garden is really beautiful this year because of the drought. But what we have we share. The tomatoes and cukes were picked from our garden and I already know who is going to share these. Each one will get some ripe and not so ripe tomatoes. Some for now and some to for later. God is so good to us!!

9 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Doing a little visitng while everyone is still asleep here.

It is nice to have neighbors who share. I have the same kind of neighbors. One brought me a big bag of yellow squash, which we have used on the grill. Yummo! Another brought me green peppers. I have lots of tomatoes and cukes here.

Your tomatoes on the picture look good.

Have a great day, Ann.

Renie

Donna's chitchat said...

My tomatoes are the size of peas. But I am not in drought season, we are in the middle of 4 days of rain. I see you are growing Roma tomatoes too. I love them for sauces and salsa. Your cukes look mouth watering. I can't wait...

Little Penpen said...

It's fun to share and fun to receive from others, isn't it? I've had tomatoes, cukes, new potatoes, and squash so far. YUMMY on the tomatoes.... I've enjoyed all my fresh tomato sandwiches!

Jules said...

What wonderful neighbours and rich soil you must have!!!!

Gigi Ann said...

Don't we just love our neighbors? My neighbor lady just yesterday brought my by a pepper and a veggie I can't spell or pronounce!!! along with a loaf of banana bread.

Acts 20:35, Jesus said: "There is more happiness in giving then in receiving..." But it's fun to receive also, sometimes;))

Have a beautiful day.

Paula said...

Nothing better than fresh garden goods, from your own garden and friends! I'm hoping that my little veggie garden produces, so that I can share the bounty with our neighbors as well. We've had a very slow start here in the Pacific Northwest but my lettuce is finally ready!

Paula said...

Oh, we were able to share some Sturgeon from my husband's last fishing adventure. Yeah!

meggie said...

The satisfaction of homegrown vegies is unrivalled! And sharing is best of all!

mreddie said...

We have been sharing as well, my cukes and tomatoes have really been producing - I counted 100 tomatoes on the counter tonight - about a third of those were picked today. Now I have to spread the wealth. :) ec