Monday, February 23, 2009

False Balances

A grocery store in town is having a grand opening. This huge shopping cart was brought in to get everyone's attention.

I am amazed all the time about how things have shrunk and cost just as much if not more. For instance, I recently craved some chocolate chip cookies and I wanted the real thing, not the store brand. So I picked them up and put them in my basket. At home after opening the package, which seemed to be the exact same size as before, I found the cookies. They once were about four inches across, but now were just a little bigger than a quarter. And they cost just as much or maybe even more than before.

Then this week I craved chocolate ice cream. The ice cream boxes are much thiner than they once were. The price was just as much.

The paper towels and toilet tissue cost the same but the rolls are much smaller. The boxes for the bath soap are the same, but when you open it, the soap looks as if it has been hollowed out on each side.

Peanut butter jars have deeper indentions on the bottom, so you don't get as much as you did before. Cereal Boxes are thinner.

That's just a few examples. On the news tonight, a woman was saying she is buying the same things that she'd always bought and their groceries are gone before the month is over. Oh course they are! The companies are cheating us on everything. The first excuse for this fraud, was that gas was so high, so the companies had to do something to keep their profits up. Okay, so the price of gas has come down, but the packaging is still deceptive, and the prices are still climbing.

The cost for heating fuel is different for certain people. Two homes on the same road get fuel from the same company. One is charged one price, the other has to pay more. I think each person should be able to get the same price.

How stupid do these companies think we are?

I don't think many people can fill their shopping carts and I know very few can buy enough to fill the big one in this photo!

10 comments:

Mary said...

Ann,

It's called price gouging and here in Canada it's supposed to be against the law, but...the gas companies got away with it so now all companies are doing it. Many people are having to chose whether to pay rent/mortgage or eat well. In North America, this shouldn't be happening.

I was talking to hubby about this early this evening and told him that money is the root of all evil and I firmly believe that it will be the downfall of society as we know it. Hope I'm wrong. The world is full of greed.

We are going to have to go back to basics, but staples in bulk and make things from scratch.

Have a great week.
Blessings,
Mary

Donna's chitchat said...

Its so discouraging and what boogles my mind is that people have money for extra large TV's and video game equip. Its like these items are necessaries which need to be purchased over tucking away money for a thinner times (which I think is right now!)

Michele said...

You said it exactly!!!! It's very FRUSTRATING!

Renie Burghardt said...

Yep, everything costs more! I think I'll make a bigger garden this year, and grow more veggies.

Have a great Tuesday!

Renie

Pat said...

You're preaching to the choir here, I know just what you mean. I've noticed I have to stock my pantry with twice as much to last half as long. At first I thought we're eating too much, but we're really eating less then before.
We will plant a garden, and do what we can to offset it. What's so maddening is that they think we're to ignorant to notice what's happening...NOT!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

yes i noticed this too! i mostly buy the store brands now. sarge used to be a snob about brands but he has finally changed when a check out gal told him the store brand was made by the same people.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

possum said...

Boy, everyone seems to be saying the same thing. I had a similiar experience this week. I needed birdfood - it used to come in 5, 10 lb bags to a box (at Sam's) Now is comes in 5, 7lb bags to a box and costs just a little bit more.
Our cats eat a special diet dry cat food - from when our Mama cat had serious life threatening food allergies. The bag used to weigh 25 lbs. It now weighs 17 lbs and costs twice as much. I just hope it doesn't come from China!

One problem with buying the store brand - often different companies add MSG - a food flavor additive that is also addictive. It is in most fast foods and Chinese food used to be notorious for using it. Many people have a serious allergy to MSG - I am one. If I injest it, it makes my heart do weird things and it feels like I am having a heart attack. After several EKGs and wearing a heart monitor for 2 weeks (and a brilliant Doctor - not the cardiac guy, either) we figured out the problem. So be very careful - it might be cheaper - but it might be dangerous if it has certain additives to make it taste better.
My advice - grow your own whenever possible. Use as few pesticides/herbicides as possible.
A rule of thumb - the easier it is to prepare (open, heat, eat) probably the worse it is for you. We pay a price for convenience that catches up with us when we aren't looking!

Another thought - how healthy can a box of cookies be if they can sit there 2 or 3 months and not get moldy????

Margaret Cloud said...

Not a truer post has been written, and you might put potato chips on that list, they try and fool you by putting air in the bags, also candy bars, the list can go on and on.

The Teacup Cottage said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. We carefully budget because the Army has decided to move us and that means that while George's job is secure, I will have to see what I can find. On top of that we will move again six months after that (Army schooling) so I'm sure that no one will be jumping to hire me for only 6 months. I am three months from earning my masters and it looks like the only ones who will benefit that education (for the next few months at least) will be mt blog readers!
Here's hoping for a better tomorrow!

janie said...

We do have a garden, and I plan to have a bigger garden this year.

I am asking the stores here, when are prices going to come down, since gas is down, and oil is down by $100.00 a barrel? That was the excuse we got from transplants at the plant nursery, to milk in the grocery store. But none are rolling back their prices!

We are working on forming a 'Bartering' group, too. You know, we can trade our carpentering skills for your electrical skills, or I will provide the seeds for you to grow cucumbers, if you will grow a bushel of cukes for me to pickle. This is going to be the way we survive in the not too far off future, I believe. We are preparing.

Janie