Thursday, April 30, 2009

Roses Red

My husband finally bought himself a couple of knock out roses. He had hoped someone would give me one last year for Mother's day. (they are not my favorites) I didn't get one. He told everyone so I thought sure some of the children would get him one for Father's day. One DIL said she looked for some, but the ones she found had bugs in them and the store refused to sell them. So she got something else.

These are his new knock out roses.

The next photo of roses is an old Jackson&Perkins Blaze rose.


We bought these bushes back in the late '60's. We lived in town when they were purchased. We moved to the country a few years later and moved the rose bushes with us. When we built here in '71, the bushes moved one last time. This is the only one left.

This next bush started out as a hybrid yellow rose.


Over the years the canes died back and the red rose roots began to spring up. I think I had two yellow rose buds last year and even that little sprig is gone this year. Oh well, these wild red roses are pretty too!

9 comments:

Margaret Cloud said...

Some people say roses are hard to work with and have to bloom. Your roses are very pretty.

Lady Di Tn said...

Nice roses. Glad your husband finally got his knock out roses. I am not a rose grower as they take way too much attention. I got a couple of knock out roses right before I got Maggie (black lab) and she tried to dig them up so I fenced them in with some green wire edging fence. I have more blooms this year than I ever have had but I noticed they have something eating the leaves. I sprayed once but with all the rain we are having it is hard to continually to get out and spray. I got them because they were suppose to be maintance free. Peace

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i love all roses, they are lovely!

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Larry said...

My mom's name is Rose, so naturally I love roses. My dad even had her name tattooed on his arm. Thank you for the comments on the "Buy boat".

Mojo said...

My mom just put some knockout roses in on a steep bank she was trying to get something useful to grow on. We'll see how it works out.

And thanks a ton for the sticky post for VU. If you're interested and would rather use a sidebar badge, I can help you set it up. But either way thanks SO much for the support. Maggie's doing a great thing there and it's really making an important difference to people. So for her and for all the ones who publish their stories there and for the ones those stories will help... I thank you.

Deborah Wilson said...

The knock outs are pretty, but I like the Blaze Rose best. Bear Roses are also pretty, the buds are huge! And they smell...tropical...yeah, that's it.

I clipped some yellow roses from Sis' rose bush on Tuesday and they are providing a beautiful scent for the kitchen.

Little Penpen said...

I didn't realize that one bush started out as a hybrid yellow. Funny that it decided to go back to red. Your roses are pretty and I hope Daddy enjoys his new knockouts!

janie said...

That looks like the 'Fortunia' root stock that many roses are grafted on to. It is pretty in it's own right, and extremely tough. I think it will live forever!

I found this about suckers from the root stock.

"Most “noble” garden roses are grafted onto rootstock. The place where the graft is made is called the graft union. The shoot that grows out under the graft union on the ungrafted part of the rootstock is called a sucker. These suckers are often very vigorous. If they are not removed they soon get the upper hand over the cultivated branches which then wither away.
This is why it is important to remove all rootsuckers as deeply as possible. Rootsuckers can be recognized by their smaller leaves and different-looking thorns. Follow the sucker all the way down to where it branches off. If this point is below the graft union, it is a rootsucker. Twist and remove the rootsucker from the rootstock. Never cut a rootsucker off at ground level. This further stimulates its growth."

I thought it was interesting.

~janie

meggie said...

I have always loved those rambling roses, & the lovely wild briar roses that used to grow profusely at home in NZ.