Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Familly Reunions and Yellow Lady Slippers

Okay Renie, I took your suggestion.

On Sunday my husband's family had their annual reunion. This year it was held in the train depot in a small town south of us. I think we set a record this year in attendance. It was good seeing everyone and having lunch together one more time. Most of us ate inside the building but there were tables set up outside on the loading dock also. This depot is no longer used by the train. Now it is a favorite place for weddings, parties, and other events.

These yellow lady slippers were in a flower bed of the first home my daughter rented when she moved to the mountains of NC. These are the only yellow lady slippers I have ever seen. In the east, when I was a child and got out and explored the woods, I would sometimes see pink lady slippers. I haven't seen any since I took this picture. The lady who owned the house my daughter rented was rescueing endangered plants.

6 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Hi Ann,

I see you were visiting my "Moody Blues" blog. Thanks for stopping by. If you had trouble sleeping, I'm sure it helped you to fall asleep. Since it is mostly about my comings and goings, I would imagine it is very boring to others.

Family reunions are fun. Haven't had an opportunity to attend mine for a few years, since it is about 900 miles away, and with the gas prices skyrocketing, it will probably be awhile before I make it to one again.

Have a pleasant day, and keep happy;)

Renie Burghardt said...

Ann,

I enjoyed seeing the reunion picture and the yellow lady's slipper! It's a beautiful plant. They are so rare now, and even the pink one is getting scarce. But yellow one is rare because diggers dug them so much. The roots have sedative properties, a nature's valium, so to speak.

Thanks so much for showing the picture! I was tickled pink to see it. Have a great day!

Renie

Sandy said...

My sister just attended a wedding reception there. It was for her nephew and his wife. It is a great place.

meggie said...

I have missed two of our massive Family Reunions, & wish I could have been there. Since most of the rellies live in New Zealand, I dont suppose i will get to one, now.

I hope your daughter kept a bulb of the yellow Ladyslipper?

Willow said...

Beautiful lady's slippers. I didn't realize yellow ones were so unusual.

I love rainy days, too, if I am home. But if it's a rainy day at kindergarten the little ones don't get their run around playtime, so I like sunny school days.

Mary said...

Ann,

I found this information about yellow lady's slippers online. The yellow lady's-slipper comes in three varieties. the large variety has a large lip with brown-and-green-streaked petals spiraling out to the sides, while the small variety has a small lip with petals and sepals of a uniform dark red. In practice, the lip size ranges overlap, the colors vary, and the varieties intergrade. Yellow Lady's Slippers are found in wooded areas, as well as bogs and marshland.

I also found that the Amaranth Lady's Slipper grows on the Canadian prairie. I would imagine it probably also grows on the US prairie, but the information didn't indicate that. What an interesting flower. Thanks for drawing my attention to it. I have never seen a yellow lady's slipper.

We haven't had a family reunion in years. They are a lot of fun and I'm glad you enjoyed yours and that lots of people attended.

Take care, my friend. Sorry it's been a while since I visited. I always enjoy your posts.

Blessings,
Mary