Wednesday, May 25, 2011

They're Back

These impatiens are coming up next to the front of the house. I'm moving them to pots and other places in the yard.


I was given a start with these impatiens years ago by a neighbor of my mama. Tom Norris said he had lots and wondered if anyone wanted some. I went to get some and as I pulled them from underneath his trees from the back of his lot, he sat out there and talked with me. He told me they would not need any fertilizer. I've had some come back year after year for many years now.

Last fall I saw his wife in the doctor's office and she asked me if I still had some of those impatiens. I told her yes, and she asked me to bring her one. I need to remember to do that very soon. She no longer can do her own gardening, so I'll move some to a pot and take them to her. Lots of the flowers I have in my yard come back each year and most of them were given to me by other people.

6 comments:

Ms. A said...

The only thing I have in abundance around here, is sago palms. We can't seem to keep them in check. (and tons of pine needles)

Debbie J said...

I love it when plants come back from seeds like that. If I leave a pot alone over the winter that had impatiens in them, and be patient, they will come back.

I bet your yard is beautiful!

Little Penpen said...

You are the impatien QUEEN! Please don't forget to take a pot to Mrs. Norris soon... that is so sweet!

Renie Burghardt said...

I didn't know impatients would survive the cold. I have a large pot of impatients that I move indoors for the winter (with son, Greg's help) and move back out in the spring. I usually give them a hair cut, when they go out and they bloom again, all summer.

troutbirder said...

I love the impatians in shady spots. However, no volunteers here due to our wintery climate... :)

Donna's chitchat said...

Still blows my mind when I see your impatients come back. Here in the north, they are the FIRST thing to die in the fall and they NEVER would come back. Of course the ground is frozen solid for 5 months of the year... geesh. Love to see them every year in YOUR garden!