Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Local Hero

In 2006 our local town magazine honored Sammy Pierce with a wonderful tribute for his service to our country in WWII

This farm boy was sent to the Southwest Pacific and was assigned with th 8th Squadron,49th Fighter Group in New Guinea.


"During his combat tours, Pierce flew a total of 279 combat missions.


This is Mr. Pierce today. Still going strong. Whenever I get the chance to be around him, I hang on his every word. He went to school with my father and was a good friend. He knew my grandparents and can tell me about things that went on before I was born. I love history!! Especially first hand history, coming from a Career Air Force Ace.

These pictures came from Ayden Magazine 2006.

10 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

What a nice tribute to your local hero, Mr. Pierce, Ann. Love the photos. I'm with you, I love to listen to history coming from the mouths of those who were there; who lived it.

God bless Mr. Pierce!

Sandi McBride said...

There's nothing like a Military Hero...and they're all hero's in my book. Great post, you should be so proud to be a friend of Mr. Pierce..and Mr. Pierce should be so proud to be a friend of yours! You're obviously president of his fan club. Wonderful post!
Sandi

Mary said...

Ann,

What a lovely tribute to Mr. Pierce. I am so glad he is doing well. I enjoyed the photos and, like you, I love history, especially that which is recounted by someone who has lived it. Be sure to visit with Mr. Pierce often. I'm sure he has lots of stories to tell of his younger days.

Take care and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Mary

Pat said...

I'm so moved by military hero's I wish some of the younger generation felt it as deeply as old folks like myself. I do know we have some wonderful young people in our military now...one day they will be the heros of the next generations! God bless them all!!

Betty F said...

Wonderful Tribute Ann. A real American Hero.

meggie said...

Great tribute to hero & friend.

The Teacup Cottage said...

What a great tribute. My husband and I feelthe same way about my paternal grandfather. George is serving in the same unit now that my grandfather served in during the Korean War ... a rare treat.

Maddy said...

Likewise. Although life whizzes around these days at some lightening unfathomable speed, every once in a while I remember to stop and listen. It's always worthwhile.
Best wishes

Little Penpen said...

Knowing you, I know you loved this article! And how cool that you know this actual hero!

Sandy said...

DH didn't remember Mr. Pierce.great triubte