Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Family Treasures

Do you have family treasures? A lot of mine are flowers from the gardens of others. These peonies were my MIL's. After her death in 1989, my SIL dug up the plants that were beside the front steps, divided them into six pieces and gave one to each of the living siblings. We planted ours near the front porch and each year around Mother's day we are reminded of my husband's mother.

I have many treasures. Irises and Snake plant from my grandmother. Hosta, Irises, and Clematis from my uncle, others from my aunts, children, and friends.

In my younger days, at my grandmother's house, I remember that all female visitors made their way around the yard, looking at all her flowers. Many left with pieces of this and that. And when grandmother came home from visiting, she often brought cuttings from her friends and families gardens.

As I make my rounds around my own yard, I am reminded of those generous people. ~Later

4 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm trying to build a garden of memories as well -- I have many plants that my mom has shared with me, but this year my goal is to root a piece off my grandmother's hydrangea tree/bush. It's beautiful and I want a piece of it growing in my yard as well.
Thanks for visiting my blog and good luck with this one!

ancient one said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I love hydrangea as well, but don't have any yet. My neighbor has several that have been in her yard forever. She bought the place after my former neighbor ( almost 100 yrs of age) had to go into a retirement home. So I know those are really old hydrangeas. My new neighbor made a lot of changes, but those hydrangea bushes stayed!

Little Penpen said...

I think about my grandmother every time my peonies bloom too, even though they aren't her peonies! I can't see a hydrangea without thinking about sitting on my great grandmother's porch as a child, pulling off the petals and decorating my fingernails. Do you still have the Sweet William from your grandma?

Brin said...

Ooooohhh... how astonishingly beautiful! Pink peonies are my ultimate favorite flower, but since they don't survive our Texas summers I "make do" with roses and hydrangeas. Lucky you to be able to look out and see them in your own yard!

I was surprised to learn just this winter how easy it is to root hydrangeas. Really, it's a snap! I need to do a blog on it this fall (prime rooting time) so we can all score hydrangeas for free!

By the way, thanks for your kind comment on my blog Friday concerning the letters I found in Freeman House. You're too kind! I was thrilled to hear what you thought...

I'll be checking in on ya! Until then, have a lovely day...

Brin
www.messythrillinglife.blogspot.com